One HOT month

We've made it to July and let me tell you, it's been a HOT one, whether I'm at home in RI or on the road. Thank goodness for water play days at school for Adler!
 We've been trying to find ways to beat the heat on the weekends since we don't have central AC. This almost always ends with us at the Zoo. Because, in addition to the animal time, they have a great water play spot. Often we finish playing in the water and sit down in the hammock spot for a picnic and it's almost like we just have our own big backyard to play in!
 This week I was off to Colorado for my interview trip. It was sort of a rough travel timeline--I tell you what, I'm doing more poorly in terms of bouncing back to energy after a red eye flight than I used to. It honestly feels like I'm post-call and poor Tom doesn't hear the end of how I'm dragging my feet the next day. 

Part of the reason that travel takes it out of me is the fact that I eat out while i"m there with meals provided by the program for some of it, and others when I'm just barely getting time to grab something on the go. I'm not as prepared as I was for my residency interviews with PB&J's and carrots with fresh fruit at the ready. Instead, I find myself more often than not eating these two grab-and-go items:

 But, before my most recent interview I had another exciting thing to cross off o my list for residency: taking the Fundamentals of Laparoscopic surgery (FLS) exam. It's a test with both practical and written testing components that are designed for general surgeons, but just this year they became required for OB/GYN as well. We have to take (and pass) the test before December 2019. So, why not add on another to-do during this crazy busy summer?!? So, while Adler was a school I was off to Boston with daddy to take the test at the Mass Gen Hospital training center (the closest available testing center to home). 
 When I finished my test, I had some time to kill while Tom was still getting some work done, so I got to wander through a science museum on the MGH campus.
 It included a rooftop garden that I wished I could create on my house rooftop.
 Then Tom and I got a much appreciated date "night" over lunch in Boston for some fresh seafood with a view!
 And, before heading back to Providence, we got some dessert as well. It was July 3rd and Tom got "early release" while I went back to work the afternoon and night shift....one of the hardest 24 hours shifts I've had in residency! It was a sooo busy!
 Anyway, while I'm often at work, this cutie pie is growing more and more and LOVES yogurt.
 She also got to eat a hot dog out of the "random kitchen item gift" that we exchange with John and Bri every year. It turns out we thought we'd never use this one when they gave it to us when I was still pregnant, but she loved it!
 We've had breakfast on the beach more than once this summer because it's been close to 90 degrees by 10 am.
 And Nanna and Pappa have been spoiling adler--the most recent edition was a new chair. No, not this one:
 This one! Now she has one just like us for dinner time on the back patio.
 Isn't she the cutest?
 And it turns out that she learned how to crawl after all. All it took was just getting her to be around a bunch of Toddlers in her first official day in the toddler room and school and BAM she was crawling. Who knew?
 I'll admit that when I was flying into Colorado last week and saw this skyline on my ride to my hotel-- it felt like I was back home in Montana. Look at the blue sky!
 I was again spoiled by a suite thanks to Tom's hotel points that he had racked up.
 I even got there early to sneak in a walk to see the wildflowers
 and a park near the medical campus
 It was >90 degrees but so much more tolerable than back in PVD because it was only 13% humidity!
 The campus was HUGE
 And the views from the gyn-onc floor are pretty breathtaking but you can't appreciate it in this photo. In the background you can see downtown Denver and the Rocky Mountains beyond.
 After my interview at colorado I had time to explore a bit. So, if you know me at all, you know that I (of course) went to see the botanic gardens!
 I will say that I've seen a lot of beautiful gardens, and this one got near the top of the charts for me.
 I could have sat near the reflecting pools or in the fields of beautiful flowers for hours. But, it was hot, and I was with some other applicants that had other agendas.

 After a LONG night on a red eye back to Boston, followed by a train to PVD, I was able to be back home with this cutie, enjoying a garden of my own. Still no zucchini's are ripe yet, but Adler enjoys snacking on the snap peas and picking the tomatoes (haven't convinced her to eat them yet). Life is good at home with my loves. Tom isn't pictured in may of these but let me tell you I am so grateful for his love and support during this crazy and stressful time!

Comments