Much needed rest

I did it. I survived my first week of the gynecology-oncology sub-internship. It was the most intense week of medical school thus far. I worked 72 hours in  the hospital and an additional 10-15 at home preparing for my time in the hospital. I was heading in to UW at 4:30 AM and not getting home until 7:30 PM. And, as soon as I did get home, it was like a mad dash to get dinner into me, review some learning points, and get to bed. I realized though---this isn't even up to my work hour restrictions for residency. In residency we are allowed 80 hour work weeks (in the hopsital) and of course there will be studying and prep work to do at home as well. So I guess this was just a warm up for that? Kind of depressing.

So, needless to say, when I got saturday off, I was ready for it! And, I was so pleased when I went in for my Sunday shift and learned that I got to go home basically right after rounds (so it's almost like getting the whole weekend off. )

I will say that despite the insane hours I'm actually having a pretty good time. I get tons of time in the OR. And, while it's not like my Missoula surgery experience where I'm acting as first-assist to the attending surgeon, I am right there in the action. So far it's been a lot of robotic surgeries in addition to open abdominal surgeries. There's been a lot of hysterectomies and "bilateral salpingo-oophorectomies" (which means taking out both fallopian tubes and ovaries). But, in addition to just the pelvic organs, I've seen stage IV ovarian cancer that has metastasized to the small bowel, omentum and spleen so it's a lot of abdominal surgery as well. I really am having a good time (I'm just spending all my time doing it!)

Kristi came in to town at just the right window so I could meet up with her on Saturday. After sleeping in until 7 I was still tired, but it was so refreshing to put on something other than scrubs, take a leisurely rather than rushed shower and go out on the town! Her and her friend from high school who lives in Boise (Jenn) decided to book a girls weekend getaway. I was jealous of their fabulous tub but then wasn't quite so sure when I saw how it filled from the ceiling in a rather inefficient (and very splash-y) way

We enjoyed a lovely late-lunch at the Pink Door.

Pedicures
 
And pie for dessert at the pie bar. What did I tell you? I knew we'd be back to that place!
 
So, I'm bracing myself for another week. But, this week won't be too much like the first one because of several things: 1. I know my way around, 2. I know what the daily expectations are and 3. We don't have any cases on Monday so the number of people being admitted to the hospital will be much less. I'm hoping that this rings true because Tom leaves for LA on Friday and I'd like to see him after work more than an hour before practically falling asleep.

It's going to be a busy 3 months ahead of both of us!

Comments