Tacoma

I finished the first week of my OB rotation and I'm now settling in to my new home. The apartment is somewhat like a hotel room in that there is no stove or oven, but overall, I'm satisfied with it because I had only heard horror stories from prior studies about how terrible the apartment provided was. Let's just say, they over-exaggerated by A LOT! Other than no stove, the only major "complaint" I have about the place is the bedding provided. It's a hospital owned apartment complex and as such, the provided linens are all hospital sheets. I was given a "linen bundle" which included sheets, two pillowcases, two bath towels, two hand towels, two wash cloths, white hospital blanket and a large pink blanket.
 Based on the thickness of the bundle you can gather the weight of these "blankets" and towels "
 The towels are meant for children in comparison to our wedding gift towels, but they will dry me :)
 It's an interesting juxtaposition to see the bed all made up (I brought my own body pillow) because this is the same bedding set up that was at TG in the doctors lounge. I remember all those night shifts walking into the lounge, looking longingly at the bed, thinking how comfortable and inviting it looked at 3 AM. It's amazing how now that I'm on a regular sleep schedule how non-inviting it is in comparison :)
 There are two twin mattresses, not sure why...
 The shower head is short but I'm pleasantly surprised with how hot the water gets and with the water pressure--it's awesome!
 Here is my kitchen. Apparently the heater/AC under the window is the reason I don't have a stove. I was told that they "had to use the 220 V outlet for the heater so I couldn't have a stove as well."
 The couch is comfy and there's a nice little desk--however, the wifi access is just the "public wifi" from TG across the street and unfortunately, the only place the signal is strong enough is in the kitchen, so I won't be able to use that desk for internet-based work.
 There's a nice old TV that reminds me of the "good old days". the first time I've had local TV since before we got married :)
 It's been an amazing first week. I'm continually amazed by several things:
- every six weeks I feel like a complete idiot all over again as I try to figure out things such as "where do I show up on day 1" to "how do I diagnose pre-eclampsia?"
- I'm continually humbled by how women who just met me allow me to be there as we welcome a new life into the world
- I have been able to assist with two natural deliveries so far. I was there through most of the labor for both of them and for both I helped "catch" the baby, nearly independently!
- I also got to assist with a c-section with tubal ligation. I was first assist with the surgeon for the "tube-tying" part and I got to close the wound! I still have lots of work to do on tying knots, so just closed the wound and the attending tied the first and final knots.
It's going to be a fast 6 weeks. I'm on call once a week which means I'm on for a 24 hour shift. So, I'll go in on Monday at 8 AM and stay on shift until Tuesday at 8 AM, then I get the remainder of Tuesday off. I always have to be in Seattle on Wednesday mornings for required lectures and have the remainder of Wednesday off for studying. Then I am either in clinic or following a surgeon in the OR on Thursday or Friday. I'll have the opportunity to see robotic surgery, deliveries, c-sections, gynecological surgeries, pre-natal appointments and so much more! It's going to be full of learnign and very exciting for sure.

Comments