Official last weekend of freedom

I spent the last week "orienting" myself to UW school of medicine all over again.It's mainly so that the students that spent the last year outside of Seattle can learn what it's like in Seattle. So, that meant that we "Seattle-ites" felt a little bored at times but we also made time for some good laughs during our "field day" on the first day of orientation. Check out my classmates and their awesome attire:
 Part of orientation was the "activities fair" where the leaders of the student groups get to introduce their group to the class. As leader of the Surgery Interest Group, I manned the table with my co-leader, Keir. I busted out my high-school science project skills and created a flashy poster board (with all supplies that can be found at the Dollar Tree) and we gave out free scalpel blades to all the first year students about to start anatomy. Better than candy right?
 The final day of orientation is an optional service day. Tom had class this year so he couldn't help out but my classmate (and neighbor) Bri and I joined in on the fun. This is how we met and found out we were neighbors last year! It's a terrible photo, but we volunteered at Northwest Harvest to package up bulk food items into family sized portions. As a group we packaged up over 3,000 pounds of oats! I think I'd like to arrange a group to go again some time!
 This past weekend was the moment that we've all been waiting for: the opening of Husky Stadium. I donned my purple and gold all the way down to my toes thanks to Diana Glassman who provided me with the nail kit to do it!
 We got elected (in a very impromptu and round-about way) to put on the first med school tailgate. We landed a parking spot in Padelford parking area which is three or four layers of outdoor parking up on campus.
 We had to have celebratory funfetti cake (and I gave up at periwinkle as the color for the frosting because I didn't want to add more food coloring!).
 Our tailgate was complete around 1:30 PM but people didn't wander in until 3 or 4. But, when they did, they came in full force!
 While we waited for the crew we took in the sights and sounds including this plane dragging a 'welcome home' banner behind it.
 Tom kicked it for a few minutes before his job began: grill master.
 The first few brave souls arrived and it was all downhill from there.
 Check out the tailgating frenzy!
 Husky pride was everywhere to be found--this is my classmate Bryce getting a paw print on his face.
 Natalie, the face paint artist.
 Eliza--Husky proud!
 Beth, a classmate from Montana.
 Casey Cable, a long time friend of my cousin Tyler Velin and fellow team member a few years back when I last played at Hoopfest.
 Burgers and brats were had by all.
 We anxiously entered the stadium around 5:30 just as the sun was perfectly gracing the entrance.
 Prior to the start, we had everyone put in a few bucks for the touch down challenge. You picked a letter and if the Huskies scored a touchdown on your letter, you got a point. At the end of the game the person with the most points takes the pot. Turns out that there were three touchdowns that qualified and they were all on different letters so we had to split the pot three ways between the winners.
 Tom, in his zone: eating an apple and grilling.
 You can almost feel Tom's excitement in this picture:
 Pumped up and ready to go--here's Tom, Casey and his wife Alicia.
 Look at that stadium!
 The "bling" walkway to get into the stadium.
 Packed house!

 Here's most of the clan, waiting for kick off (before all the seats around us filled in).
It was a great game but we were EXHAUSTED by the end of it all. Turns out that orchestrating a group of 40+ people to eat, "relax" and get to a game is hard work! I doubt we will be doing that again in the school year but it was great fun to do it once.

Tomorrow I start my second year of medical school. It's hard to believe it's here and I'm definitely anxious about it. I know I can do it but it's going to be more challenging than last year and I have the ever-scary finish in June: the boards! I take Step 1 (of 4) after my second year. It's an 8 hour computerized exam covering everything I've learned over the past two years. We had meetings about it during orientation and let's just say don't count on hearing from me between May 17th and June 27th okay? The target date for the exam is june 27th (plus or minus a week). During that time it is basically expected that I study between 8-12 hours a day to get ready for this. They aren't kidding either. So, you can just expect that I'll be "absent" from your lives then--so don't plan any surprise 27th birthday party okay? :) They warned us with a presentation about it during orientation and they warned us to warn our friends and family. Consider yourselves warned!

Comments