"Snowpocalypse"

The day that all the students in Tacoma have all been waiting for has finally arrived --- a SNOW day! The Californians are on record for making fun of us Washington residents, calling us "wimps" because of it--but I"m not sure they know what we're dealing with. This particular blog post is intended primarily for my parents who are (enjoying a sunny paradise) or anyone who is not a resident of the Pacific Northwest and is experiencing this weather-that-will-make-history first hand. The snow began to fall on Tuesday and really came down on Wednesday morning. 
I still made it to work on Wednesday—the roads just reminded me of home. And, thanks to the fact that my parents left their Honda Pilot behind, I didn't slip once! It was awesome to have four wheel drive. Tom and I both had the day off today so we didn’t have to worry about driving around and we’re glad we didn’t! Even four wheel drive couldn't really battle what we got today. On top of the almost 8 inches of snow we got at our house it began to rain, but because the ground was still frozen the rain froze on contact! So much for my winter broccoli harvest :)
The yards in our neighborhood look like white ice rinks that even Peyton could not break through unless she was running or jumping on it. I got a few videos of Peyton playing in this weird snow but I don't think my videos loaded right last time so I wasn't going to try again today, you'll have to imagine her.
The freezing rain seemed to defy gravity, building up on top of the lavender blossoms. 
All the cars became like frozen icicles, stranded on the sides of the streets. 
On top of the ice and heavy snow, there have been some slight winds, causing many of the branches to fall down. Well, we thought it was just going to be branches until we stepped outside and saw this right across our from our house:
 We decided in order to prevent disaster for my car, we would need to move it out from under the willow tree on our side yard (Don't worry mom and dad, your Honda is parked safely in the garage). With the help of our neighbors, we got my car pushed farther from the tree but the ice coating on top of the snow made it so we couldn’t get very far. 
With a little relief know that my care is out of the footprint of the tree, we went for a little walk with Peyton around the block (actually we walked up to Safeway). Here’s a few snapshots from our walk tonight and earlier today:

All in all we feel very blessed to come home to a warm home (unlike many people in the Northwest who are without power right now). We snuggled up on the couch with a nice warm homemade Calzone –mmmm!!!

Comments